Like if you did :)

Friday, August 5, 2011

12.The Weekly Magazine - Sept-17-2000


The Weekly Magazine - September/17/2000






Fool's Paradise – N.N





Rachel & Lechar – N.N





Just Men and Just Kids – N.K

One day, while me and my husband were relaxing on the porch, there was a sudden downpour. I told my husband to unpeg the washing, and he only said, “I can’t dear. I’m wearing only a singlet.” So I dashed off and began to frantically unpeg the washing. Suddenly, I saw my husband standing near in the rain. “I could let you get wet alone,” he said.

My daughter, 4, pulls out more black than white hair off my head. When I reproach her, she says, “It’s okay marmee, they would turn white anyway.”

When my daughter was 4, she had her own version of words. Mosquito was mostiquo, sugar was suker, hospital was hostipal and so on.

Once when I reproached my son, 3, on his bad behavior, I said, “You had better pull up your socks.” He looked down at his stockinged feet and said, “They’re already pulled up, mom.”




Beauty Tips – N.N






Poet's Corner

Epitaph

Here lies a most beautiful lady

Light of step and heart was she

I think she was the most beautiful lady

That ever was in the West Country.

But beauty vanishes, beauty passes,

However rare – rare it be.

And when I crumble, who will remember

This lady of the West Country.

- N.K



Remembering

What can I do?

I’m so bored sitting here

What can I do?

There seems nothing, I fear.

I cannot dance,

I’m too old for that.

I cannot bounce,

I’m so stiff and fat.

I guess I’ll just sit and read my book

For being 83, I’ll just have to look

At the others playing bat.

And my! I remember my youth and days gone by.

- N.A





Always Yours - N.N

The next morning, Lowel was summoned into her office, and he arrived immediately.

“Ah, what is it?” he asked impatiently and sat down, adjusting his trousers. Jaqy finished off with her signature on a bill and looked up. Her eyes danced in excitement, Lowel’s in curiosity.

“I want the Indian professor to plan our interior designing. What do you say to that?”

Lowel took the words in quietly, and thought over again, while his employer watched him. “What’s so much change for?” he asked.

“Am I hearing you right?” Jaqy frowned crossly.

“All our plans will have to be changed,” Lowel said.

“A little, it’s the person who does the work and not the work itself that has to change,: Jaqy said as she picked the receiver to dial Maggy. Lowel watched while Jaqy spoke into the line. He admired this young lady. She really had spirit. But her life is in darkness. It was evident that she strived for the business. All the staff had daily talks about their young mistress. True that nothing was definitely known about her private affairs, but a heart-break was what all suspected. “Poor, little rich girl.” Some would say. Here she was, now introducing another ‘change’ as she calls it.

“What are your reasons for disagreeing?” Jaqy asked Lowel, she could see some disappointment in his face. Lowel just shook his head. He thought Jaqy was missing the nice side of life. He himself was happily married with a lovely family. He pitied his little mistress who craved in business, with an empty life. Getting no proper answer from Lowel, Jaqy just remained quietly till Maggy came in.

“Phew! What’s up?” Maggy asked carrying a file. Jaqy explained her ideas and again Lowel listened. This time he saw something in what she said.

“Indian decors! You can’t do that!” Maggy stood gaping. “I have already appointed an Italian decorator.”

“We’ll just send him home,” Jaqy replied flatly. “I can’t do that,” Maggy smiled uncomfortably, glancing at Lowel’s direction. Getting the hint, Lowel excused himself out. Jaqy crossed her arms and waited for Maggy to explain the fuss.

“Jaqy, everything’s settled, I can’t send Cavin home.” Jaqy saw the whole thing now.

“Good lord. Who asked you to get Cavin for this?” Jaqy asked, seeing the situation jamming. Maggy shrugged. “I’ll tell him, if you can’t,” Jaqy said, walking over to the phone, “I want the professor there, not Cavin.”

“Oh, you selfish creature.” Maggy cursed, with hatred in her tone, “no wonder he left you. Yes I always thought Dian was more human.” Jaqy stopped and looked at Maggy who was furious now. “I thought you loved Cavin.”

“What has love got to do with the new project?” jaqy voiced the absurdity. She stood puzzled. Of course Cavin can do miracles, but not as the Professor when it comes to Indian stuff.“Hyden and I went through a lot to get Cavin agreed, and now you are going to spoil it all!” Maggy cried, “So much for trying to help.” Jaqy was quiet, her head bent low. She could not understand Maggy. “Maggy, Cavin and I will handle our private problems alone,” Jaqy sighed, “.. as for the project, I want Professor Rai on it.”

“Please take Cavin too, it would be humiliating otherwise.” Maggy begged, slowly recovering from her anger. “They are so different.. but wait… that would bring a brand new style – wow!” Jaqy dialed the numbers fast. Maggy watched her sister in utter confusion. What is it that Jaqy wants? Only money and nothing else? Maggy felt rather disgusted with Jaqy’s odd behavior. However, all in all, Cavin would be given the job she though, else she would have to do a lot of explaining again.

To be continued...



Aunty Moonlight – N.N









The Twinkle T's - The Grocery Break In

Next morning, the Twinkle girls dropped in at Jroffrel Stores. It was closed of course, but the owner let them in. They looked around, "Hey Tamy, come over here," called Tamara, she had found something important. Tamy saw that it was a wallet. She pocketed it, and told her sister to be quiet. "We'll come again Mr. Jroffrel," they said and sped off. Back in their own room, the girls pored over the wallet. "Wow... look at this," Tamy said, holding a card in her hand with the name of Gerard and address on it. "Here is a note too, look what it says!"

- Rick, bring the book to me. Gerard. -

"So, Gerard must be the boss, and Rick is one of the thieves. This must be Gerard's address, and he owns the truck." Tamy said. Tamara agree, "Gerard is in league with the thieves." "Let's go and check out the address." decided the girls.

To be continued... N.N









No comments:

Post a Comment