Like if you did :)

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

08. The Weekly Magazine - August-20-2000

The Weekly Magazine - August/20/2000





Fool's Paradise - N.N




A Taste of Life - N.N






Short Story - Patience Is Worth It

“I am glad you are taking it in a matured way,” my mother remarked and off she went to the kitchen. I flung my shaggy bag down on the floor, and threw myself on the couch. It was another tough day… and when would things get better? I had friends all around back in my former school, but when mother had to transfer for her new job, I had to leave my old school. And now, I am in the dungeons. I have no single friendly soul in this rotten new school, it’s been two weeks and no one has even picked on me. To make things worse, everything I do turns out bad. Last sports day, I swung the baseball bat so hard that I hit the goal keeper behind me. He was a fussy fellow, and he yelled holding onto his ear. His team threw angry looks in my direction, for they had lost their best player.

The next day, things went fine until after school. It was work period and everyone had to get into casual ear and help clean the school. I had forgotten to take my change, and I was askaed to empty our class rubbish bins for that. I felt so odd working in my uniform. I felt like a bronze coin among the gold ones.

Then, today, we were to write about our fathers. The teacher asked every student in the class to say something about their dads. When it was my turn, I just stood knowing not what to say. The teacher walked to me and kindly asked me to share my dad with them. “I don’t have a father, he died when I was very small,” I said. The teacher put her arm around me, that was ok, but all the other students stared then, it was a bit embarrassing. I could feel my cheeks going red.

I thought things would improve today. It was a lovely day and the birds were singing in the trees, the clouds floated by and everything was just perfect. I went to school in high spirits, but came back feeling very low. Something very stupid happened today. First I wash rushing to drink some water before the bell rang, and then I bumped into this girl. She was in my class. I apologized and she just went off with a shrug. She hardly knew what it means to be friendly. But just after lunch, while we were having our ‘cool off’, she came by, smiling. I smiled back. She came right up to me, picked my bag off my hands. She walked into the girls’ toilet and put my bag at the corridor. She then ran off! I was terrified! My bag in the girls’ toilet! I did not know how to get it back. I am a guy… how could I run into the girls’ private quarters! I did not want to tell my teacher. That would be fussing. So when no one was about, I ran in and snatched the bag out. Thereafter, I kept tight hold of my bag. When I got to class, the guys were laughing, looking my way. The teacher wanted to know why. And then, a student, a snub-nosed silly girl giggled out the whole story. The teacher was annoyed. I said I was sorry anyway, being polite might help me score. That was that, and tomorrow was another day. I am sick of this. I do not want to bother my mom, she is so sweet. I should face my problems alone. The doorbell rang, I opened, and there on the doorstep stood a guy from my class. He had his bicycle with him. “How about riding… maybe to town and back?” he asked, very friendly and all smiles. I was astounded. My mom had heard the knock and she was standing by me. I looked at her for permission and she gave it in a smile.

So, things are finally to be better. Riding besides my new friend, with the wind blowing in my face, I had the feeling that the wait was worth it all.


- N.N






Indian Stars! - N.K





Poet's Corner - N.N




Animals / Birthday Corner - N.A






Always Yours (continued)

Jaqy watched her elder sister drying the stained cheeks, standing beside her husband. Hyden was quiet. He had apologized, and the problem was settled, but Jaqy still did not understand Hyden. How could he start up a fight, with Maggy bursting, and then end it all so easily? What on earth could he mean by it? He must have a reason for this, it cannot be just a silly mistake. There could be more to this in the future… if only Maggy would take things into her hands. Maybe a holiday would do. It is Christmas and they could take a break. They could patch things up.

“Yes, I think you both need some time off,” Mrs. Kauffman agreed with Jaqy.

“Thanks, I agree there!” Hyden joined.

“No! it’s season time and we are needed here, at the apartments.” Maggy pointed.

“But Maggy…” began Hyden, but his wife kept shaking her head. She knew how to get things done her way when she wanted.

“What’s so fussy about the apartments?” Jaqy laughed, yet she knew she was lying here. “I can take care of all that, just leave it to me,” she explained with raised eyebrows.

“You need a rest too… we all do!” Hyden was talkative again. He felt better already.

“That’s not practical,” Jaqy rejected the idea, “and if we do, we would end up with empty pockets as well.” She shrugged. She was going nowhere. She wanted to see how things would go this Christmas, “besides, the new project begins this season.”

“There you go again! Think of yourself for a change,” Hyden pleaded. He loved Jaqy too.

“It’s my life,” Jaqy replied, her tone grew serious, and she looked aside, “I am married to the hotel. But it’s different for you.” She knew that there would be so much for a couple to do together. When she was with Cavin, the hours passed by without their notice. So now she could see Hyden’s point. He loves Maggy so much. Mrs. Kauffman saw the slight frown on her younger daughter’s face. She knew that jaqy would go on, fighting her battles alone. But she is still young and at times, if there was a shoulder to lean on, things would be easier. It’s time her daughter started some affair, she thought. But she saw no interest in Jqy towards such things. If her daughter was bored with life, she would strive more into the business. She would bury her sorrows there, in those files. She felt her heart aching for her daughter, but if Jaqy wanted help, she herself would ask for it. If she needed comfort, she would come in search of it. Till then, Mrs. Kauffman would only watch and wait.

“So…” Jaqy broke the silence, since things were settled now, “… tell me what you think to do this Christmas. I am having this book to catch up on. Good night then.” She walked towards her library, where she kept a store of her favourite novels, and picked up a large volume. She flipped its pages, but her mind was far away. She turned towards the drawer in which was Cavin’s photograph, but she did not want to take it out. She sat down on her table, and kicked her legs. A deep sigh released itself within her. She stared at the hands of the clock, slowly ticking its way towards the dark hours. She flipped the pages of other books, then putting all back into their places, she looked around her library. On her desk was a photograph of her father. Narrow nose, dark eyes, dark hair. She listened for voices, but it seemed that all had gone to bed. The lights were all out. Jaqy was restless, she needed to talk to someone who would listen to her and treat her the way she wanted, someone who would whole heartedly spend hours with her. She walked towards the telephone but had second thoughts. Then she slipped out from her side door and got into her car. Soon she was out on the dark streets driving fast, with only the music from her stereo playing her favourite songs. She knew where she was heading. She was going to see Cavin, to talk to him. She wanted to know more about his life, his past wife, and to ease her pain, she wanted to increase his.

To be continued – N.N



No comments:

Post a Comment