Like if you did :)

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

07. The Weekly Magazine - August-13-2000

The Weekly Magazine - August/13/2000

Kid's Corner – N.K






Indian Stars! – N.K






Short Story - That One Big Loss – N.N

It was twenty years ago. Mary was my best friend then. She was just in her mid-thirties, with a very rich and handsome husband, who truly loved and cared for her. I regularly visited them, for we lived close to each other. I was not very lucky in the marriage market, and remained single. Well, spending your life alone is not so bad as it seems. but I always thought that I was missing so much; because to my understanding, at that time, love and marriage was the essence of life and I missed out on it. I watched Mary, lost in her husband's love, enjoying every moment of her life in his company. They were not blessed with children, and they tried in every way to have a child. This began to trouble them so much. Then, I left for a job abroad; with all the work I had about me, I just could not correspond with Mary, like I wished, but from the few letters she wrote me, I gathered that she was very unhappy.

"We are drifting far apart," That was what she said in her last letter. After two years, I got a promotion and was back again and again I could visit Mary. However things had changed drastically and very pathetic it was. Mary was always at home, her husband returned late at nights, sometimes very drunk and this never improved. Things just kept on getting worse. Many a time I was the only source of comfort to Mary during the tough times. I was her only prop of support. I worried a lot about her, for things never turned for the better.

I remember this certain day, it was just after lunch, and I thought of dropping by at Mary's. But when I got there, there were a whole lot of police trucks, sirens screaming and policemen running in and out of the house. my heart just stopped for a second. I was paralysed. I wanted to know what happened, but I just could not move. I saw everything as if in a dream. I knew something terrible had happened. A few moments Later, I got back my control and made my way towards the house. Some officers saw me and asked me a few questions. They wanted me to go to the police station. But I made it clear that I was a close friend so I really needed to know what happened. I just could not make out all this. So, I was allowed in, and I saw Mary's husband, being questioned by officers. He was in a mess, drunk and blood all all over his hands. He was staring at the red colour on his clothes. He was crying.

"I did not mean it, I never wanted to kill her, she was my wife," he sobbed desperately.

I could not wait in there any longer. I felt the hot tears run down my cheeks. My friend Mary was dead. I walked out slowly. Never will I return to this house; my dear friend was killed here, by the very hands of the man she loved so much. There was no reason for this incident. Why did it have to be this way?

I saw some officers raising a covered body on a stretcher onto the ambulance. That was Mary. I did not even have the chance to say good bye. At least now she will rest in peace. I miss you, Mary. I just regret that I was not very helpful. I know I did all my best. But it did not help to save you.

This happened a long time ago, but how could I ever forget? Every detail is embossed in my memory. This story has always symbolised for me against how man's actions can rule our lives.




Fool's Paradise – N.N






Always Yours – N.N

"This is not what I want, Maggy," Hyden tried to explain, "I married you so we could be happy!" Maggy did not get his meaning.
"I don't want us stuck with work, loaded to our necks!" Hyden looked desperate.
"You mean the work at the Hotel!" Maggy asked.
"Yes, if you don't give that up..."
"How can you say that!! You are mean! You know you are mean!" Maggy cried.
"Me? My good grief! Maggy, I love you!"
"Then don't speak like that! You are like a hypocrite!" Maggi returned.
"Hypocrite! Fancy that. I am leaving!"

"Hyden, Maggy!!" that was Mrs. Kauffman. She stormed into the room, her face in a deep frown. "What the hell! Stop crying Mag! Hyden?" so like her daughter when anger took control, Mrs. Kauffman was raging. Always adamant and independent. It was this Jaqy acquired from her. "Nothing, mother... it's nothing, just..." Maggy began to make excuses. But her mother was not so easily coaxed. Maggy was crying. She could not control. Hyden had dimmed. He did not mean to go so far.
"Hyden, if you have that head on your shoulders, you'd better explain this." Mrs Kauffman ordered.
"Mum, it's me, my fault..." Maggy started.
"You shut!" her mother cut in. By then, Jaqy had returned. She was coming up the stairs, and the loud voices told her of trouble.

It was Hyden and Maggy. There was something bothering Hyden. That much she knew. She hurried to their room, and found all the others staring at her. They were quiet. Maggy was drying her eyes, Hyden put his hands back into his pockets, the nurse ran back to the nursery, and Mrs. Kauffman was ready to burst with anger.
"Well," Jaqy looked around. "What's jammed here?" she asked with raised brows.
"Acting cats and dogs!" Mrs. Kauffman returned, "God knows why!" She replaced her hands at her hips. Her daughter would deal with it. Like all the business dealings, this too, Jaqy will handle. She relied on Jaqy.
"Oh.. so... just a minor quarrel," Jaqy scorned, "they cement the marriage, so I've heard!" she said shrugging.
:Oh Jaqy, he's going to leave me. I was just dragging by crying till you came." sobbed Mag.
"Till I came? You are crazy Mag!" Jaqy laughed, "It's your marriage!"
"I am going," Hyden said, "I can get a better job abroad." This way he could live with his wife according to his wishes, he thought.

"Indeed!" Jaqy turned to face him, "Hyden, since I can't see beneath your skin, you'd better come out yourself." Jaqy sat herself down. The others remained standing. Mrs. Kauffman sat on the bed facing the married couple.
"You know, Hyden, I feel like giving you this..." Jaqy showed her fist at him.
"Jaqy! How dare you!" Maggy shouted.
"How can you care for him, Maggy? When he does all this?" Jaqy asked.
"Who else would she care for, she loves me!" Hyden returned, "all you can do is overload her with work; I don't want her to slave like you do."
"Hyden, that's not true." Maggy was tired of this. Jaqy laughed, "They are yet in love, mom! That's allI care for!" Jaqy stood to go. Now, Hyden felt ashamed. He felt the fool, and kept his eyes down. Jaqy watched him. There is always trouble in love and marriage, she thought. Even with the best of couples.
"I am sorry," Jaqy said, "I should have thought more about Maggy, it did not occur to me."
"But you knew about the baby only this morning!" Maggy corrected Jaqy, "And i want to work, I feel useful then!"
"What have you to say?" Mrs. Kauffman asked Hyden. He felt guilty.
"I feel the idiot, Jaqy. All I want is for me and Maggy to be happy in our marriage."
"I think you need sometime to spend together. You should take a holiday." Jaqy added.

To be continued...




No comments:

Post a Comment